Sunday, March 27, 2011

Proverbs 31:14

She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. Proverbs 31:14

I'm struggling a little with this verse because I'm not sure how to apply this to my life.

One commentary that I read suggests that this verse means that the food she buys is bought with money that she has had a hand in earning. It also suggests that it means she provides a variety of food from many different places. Variety provides interest and a broader range of healthy nutrients for the family.

I like this commentary that describes her as having the art of such ships as sail away and bring goods and wares from a distance. She displays an enterprising, prudent spirit. She brings in what is necessary for her family, even if it is from a distance.

There is a lot to ponder here and I guess that is what I will be doing this week, as I look to see how this applies to my life.

Link for more thoughts on Proverbs 31.

I would love to hear (read) some thoughts from others.








2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...well, I've always taken this verse to mean that we are the ones responsible for acquiring the food we need to feed our families. Taking the time to plan, and go out and shop and bring the food back home. I think it's a sense of responsibility...to go and find good deals, and be wise in purchases. I know I drive a ways and spend a lot of time going from store to store, in order to get the best deals at each one...and this verse often comes to mind while I'm doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I think that it means to bring in foods from wherever you need to in order to meet your family's needs. For example, you may order grains online or you may have to go to more than one store to bring in the foods and save on the budget of your family. Blessings, Cass

    ReplyDelete