Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Simple Woman's Daybook - Thursday March 1, 2012

For Today

Outside my window . . . it's been a warm but very windy day.

I am thinking . . . about our appointment with ENT Dr. yesterday. The doctor we saw yesterday is the same doctor who performed Michael's cricoid split operation when he was eight months old. In January we had a hearing screening that showed mild hearing loss in his left ear and moderate hearing loss in his right ear. So we were referred back to the ENT for further assessment. Yesterday we found out that Michael has a submucous cleft palate. The good news is that Michael is one of the fortunate ones whose speech is not effected by the muscle malformations in his palate. The bad news is that it is effecting the ability for his ears to drain fluid and that is probably what is causing the hearing loss. So, this means that on March 16th we're going to have tubes put in his ears. I didn't know this before, but apparently their are several different types of tubes that can be put in. Most of the time tubes are put in that will come out on their own in six months to a year. Because this will likely be a long term problem for Michael the doctor is putting in tubes that will (hopefully) stay for two or three years so that we won't have to go back as often to have them replaced. The surgery itself should be quick and we should be coming back home as soon as the surgery is over and he's fully awake.

I am thankful . . . that I do not have any appointments tomorrow.

In the kitchen . . . we had baked chicken for dinner.

I am going . . . to bed soon.

I am wondering . . . if there are seeds at the post office for me. Either Doug or I are going to have to check tomorrow because I'm impatient.

I am reading . . . still reading When Bad Christians Happen to Good People by Dave Burchett and Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo.

I am hoping . . . for a quiet weekend.

Around the house . . . it is quiet except for the dog and the cat who cannot seem to stop irritating each other. They are worse than children sometimes!

A favorite quote for today . . . A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in a doctor's book. ~ Irish Proverb

One of my favorite things . . . a good book.

A peek into my day . . . No pictures today. Doug was home from work today because of a stomach bug and Amanda was still really tired from being sick yesterday. Austin and Michael spent the evening at grandma's house. CJ started learning how to knit. We had a meeting here this afternoon to help determine eligibility for one of the kids for more services. The little kids (Michael, Khristian and Lauren) and I played with playdough this morning, focusing on identifying beginning letter sounds of the things we made and also making playdough letters.





5 comments: