Friday, March 2, 2012

Homemade Crackers in Five Flavors


All week I've been wanting to make homemade crackers. This morning Doug was home from work and could take Lauren to and from preschool for me and that opened up some time for me to finally make them.

I ended up making five batches, using different seasonings and flavorings in each batch. It was fun and made the house smell good.

I started with this recipe from Recipetips.com and then made my own modifications.

Here are the five different variations I made today.


Basic Recipe
1 1/4 cups white flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 tablespoons water


Add Ins

1
 1 1/2 teaspoons soul food seasoning

2
 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

3
1 1/2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
 1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon crushed rosemary

4
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

5
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Mix together the ingredients for the basic recipe and whatever add ins you want. Roll the dough out as thin as possible on a aluminum foil the size of the baking pan you will be using. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until
lightly browned.


Let cool and break into pieces.


Most of the family really liked these, some liked one flavor more than another but overall they were a hit. Interestingly, Amanda who is usually the pickiest eater here really liked these, while CJ who will usually eat almost anything did not like them at all.



One of the commenters on the original recipe said she liked to cut the dough into small squares or even us small cookie cutters for cute crackers. I like the idea but I get too impatient. In fact, I've made homemade crackers before, using a different recipe and on of the reasons I hadn't tried it again was because of how long it took me cut all the dough into cracker sized pieces. So I just broke mine up after it cooled a little and loved how fast it was.


I'm looking forward to trying more variations of these crackers with different seasonings as well as with cornmeal and whole wheat flour.





~ Linking Here ~

2 comments:

  1. YUM! These would be great for our roadtrip next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look
    so good
    and so easy
    that i shared them on
    the Stuff and Nonsense FB page

    now following you
    via LF and GFC

    thanks for linking up to
    Fridays Unfolded!

    alison

    ReplyDelete