Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Morning Musing Over Coffee - Thoughts and Words


 
For, “Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech. ~ 1 Peter 3:10
 
By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. ~ Winston Churchill
 
There are days when it seems to me my mouth has a mind of it's own. Because things come out of it that I really did not mean or want to say.
 
And yet, I know that these words that I wish I had swallowed are a symptom of allowing my thoughts to go in directions it should not go.
 
So I have to go back to the source and ask God to renew my mind and heart. Then I have to make a conscious choice to change my way of thinking. When my thoughts change, so do my words.
 
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~ Philippians 4:8

 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. This is something that I have been dealing with lately. Why do I let my tongue say things that I always regret? Thank you for being God's hand in teaching me to turn to Him for a renewing of my heart! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good reminder for taking our thoughts captive, and guarding our tongue from evil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great reminder of how important it is to think before we speak. I used to really struggle sometimes with wanting to use my words to argue how "right" I was. Then I came across a saying once that said "Being kind is more important than being right" I try to remember this whenever I feel the need to be "right" at any cost. Thankfully, I have grown up a bit since the (lol) and am trying to instill this into my children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "But the tongue can no one among men tame ...", James 3: 8.

    Thinking on "these things" will certainly help the mouth to speak what the heart thinks.

    ReplyDelete