Saturday, March 17, 2012

Morning Musing Over Coffee - Dearly Loved


 
 
“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” Colossians 3:12 NIV
 
 
Compassion? Kindness? Humility? Gentleness and patience?
 
Some days I don't feel like I live out these virtues very well. I get grumpy, selfish, and impatient. My tone of voice becomes sharp and my words less than kind. I even throw myself a little pity party now and then.
 
 
And then I read a verse like this and I know I haven't measured up and I am disappointed with myself. And I certainly don't feel very holy and like I deserve to be dearly beloved.
 
But wait. As I read it again I notice something.
 
I am not called to live this so that I will be holy and dearly beloved. I am called into this way of life because I am seen by God as holy and  dearly beloved, not because of anything I have done, but because of my acceptance of His gift of love through His Son Jesus.
 
And when I approach my life from the standpoint of already being seen as holy and dearly loved, it is so much easier to allow compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience to flow through me to those around me.
 
What a blessing and sense of freedom comes from being His child, and knowing I am loved.
 


1 comment:

  1. It is wonderful to know that there is nothing that we can ever do to make God love us. It is even more wonderful to know that God will love us no matter what. I love the concepts of mercy and grace. Neither of which we deserve.
    Grace is giving us what we don't deserve.
    Mercy is not giving us what we deserve.

    ReplyDelete