Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Morning Musing Over Coffee - Jabez Prays

credit: Michelle Meiklejohn


READ - 1 Chronicles 4:9,10

9. Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother named him Jabez, saying, "I gave birth to him in pain." 
10. Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request. 

EXAMINE
It doesn't sound like Jabez had much going for him. His brothers were of questionable character and he caused his mother so much pain at birth that she named him after it. Ouch!

But, Jabez realized where his help came from and that is where he turned. He cried out to God. Not just some half-hearted, humdrum "please help me God." No, he cried out  and he made a big request. Bless me, enlarge my territory, let your hand be with me, keep me from harm and pain. He was asking for an abundant life and God granted him his request. And this is noteworthy enough that special mention is made of it in the middle of one of those seemingly endless lists of genealogy. This was a special man with a special request and it was noted and recorded. 

APPLY
In the same way that Jabez turned to God for help and made known the deep desires of his heart, God also wants me to do the same. And when I do, He will take note. Why will He take note? Because I'm His child and He loves me. When my children come to me with requests I want to grant those requests. And when it's possible and in their favor, I do so. I do it because I love them. And my Heavenly Father loves me and will do the same for me.


PRAY
Thank You, Heavenly Father, that You love me so much. Thank You for listening when I pray and for answering my prayers. Thank You for giving us the example of Jabez and his prayer so that we can learn from it. In Jesus name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. It is so important to believe He will answer you when you pray. I believe Jabez knew God would answer.

    ReplyDelete