Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Simple Nutritious Breakfast Bars

I'm always on the lookout for simple breakfast food. And since mornings are busy for me I like to have something that I can easily carry with me. And since Doug doesn't really like to eat breakfast before he leaves the house between 4:30 and 5:30AM it's nice to have something simple to put in his lunchbox for his morning break. So when I found this recipe for Healthy Breakfast Bars I knew I wanted to try them.

The original recipe was a lot smaller and used grams as measurements. So I converted the measurements and tweaked the numbers and then quadrupled the recipe and this is what I came up with.


2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/4 cups dried fruit
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup wheat germ
4 bananas, mashed
1 14 oz can evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix together dry ingredients, including dried fruit. Heat evaporated milk for one minute and add to dry ingredients. Mash bananas and mix with other ingredients. Spread in 9x11 cake pan and bake at 320F for 30-35 minutes.  Let cool slightly and then cut into squares with pizza cutter.

Enjoy a healthy and simple snack or breakfast.

~ Linking Here ~



The Morris Tribe Blog Carnival

7 comments:

  1. I will have to try this! I always make breakfast two times a week. Usually a baked oatmeal or an egg/sausage casserole. This will be something fun and new to try!
    Catherine
    http://tbc-tobecontinued.blogspot.com/2012/04/10-things-to-do-outside-with-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding recipes like this one. I have tried a few and I love them so do my kids. You and a a wonderful blog and my name is Rose too. I'm now following on GFC and Linky. I would love it if you stopped by to visit me @http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    I host a Sunday linky party every week if you would like to come and share.
    Thanks
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy, I love to have different things for breakfast & would like to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! I'm going to make these for my kids next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rose,
    I just love a great grab and go Breakfast Bar and your recipe looks awesome! Hope you have a fabulous week end celebration and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful breakfast treat or something, I can take to work and grab a bite. Thanks for sharing this on Bake with Bizzy. This will be featured, starting Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look much better than the granola bars I give my kiddos for breakfast. I bet they taste better too. Can't wait to try them out. Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete