Monday, April 23, 2012

Family Conversations - A Beginning

As I mentioned last Monday, I decided to start a new dinner time routine with the family. I felt we needed more constructive conversation and fewer snarky comments and speed eating contests. 

The plan was to start Monday but I got home later than I had planned from Michael's physical therapy appointment and we were a bit rushed. So I thought I would start Tuesday instead. But Tuesday we ended up having a meeting with a service provider for one of the kids. It ran much later than I expected and once again we were rushed. Wednesday evening we had dinner at church and Thursday evening we decided to go out to eat. And I'm not even sure why we didn't do it Friday evening. But, finally, Saturday evening we got started with it. So here is what our family conversations were about Saturday evening.

Memory Verse - 

But thanks be to God, He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians15:57

Daily Question
Saturday - 
If you could invent one thing to make your life easier, what would it be?

The general consensus was that we would like a robot to help us with our work. Austin wants it to clean his room, and I want it to wash dishes and do the grocery shopping. CJ wanted a robot that would pick up everything. Amanda just wanted a fork that would feed her by itself because she wanted to eat but didn't want to have to bother to keep lifting the fork. I'm not even sure what to say about that!

Blessings
Doug
    1. helping family - He mowed his cousin's yard Saturday
    2. reducing debt - We were able to pay off some bills last week and I agree it's a wonderful blessing.

Rose (Me)
    1. Going shopping and out to eat with Amanda Saturday
    2. Rain for the garden

Austin
    1. good food
    2. good movies

Amanda
    1. new clothes
    2. macaroni and cheese

CJ
    1. Going with Doug to mow 
    2. playing outside

Michael
    1. Going with Daddy to mow
    2. square gum and hot gum






6 comments:

  1. going with Daddy... isn't it just so simple. They just want to be with us! Thanks for sharing your whole family's list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true and I have to remind myself of that when I worry that I don't give them enough "stuff" or opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blessings can be so simple, can't they???? We just have to think a little, open our eyes to see them, and then share them. It seems to be in the sharing that they come alive somehow. I'm with Kelly on the "going with Daddy." How precious! Love your new meal system. Sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It so wonderful to come together and share our blessings and thankfulness
    that GOD allows us to have and enjoy !!! Stopping by from Multitude on Monday
    Have a great 1440 today and each day
    Glenna

    ReplyDelete