Thursday, April 5, 2012

Salami Cheese Biscuit Squares

I love it when my experiments in the kitchen turn out well. I started bread dough this morning thinking that I would make some hot pockets. But then I started thinking of other things I could make and ended up completely changing my mind. I baked the bread and tomorrow I will use it to make French Toast Sticks.

And instead of homemade hot pockets I went in a little different direction.  I made a large batch of biscuit dough, divided it in half, and pressed half into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. I then cut up a 5oz package of salami and spread the pieces over the dough, covering it with grated mozzarella cheese and then another layer of biscuit dough.


I put this in the oven, preheated to 400 degrees F, for about 20 minutes. 


After it c00led I cut it into squares and served it to the kids for lunch. It was so good I made a second batch. For this batch I sauteed some red, yellow and orange peppers and an diced onion and placed it in the middle layer along with the salami and cheese. 


Here's the recipe I used for the biscuit dough. I'm sure other biscuit recipes would work as well and I'll be trying some in the future.

2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup margarine
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/3 cups milk

In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix in margarine. Add cheese and mix in. Add milk and stir just until moistened.

I'm looking forward to trying this with different biscuit recipes and fillings. The possible combinations are almost endless.

~ Linking Here ~


The Morris Tribe Blog Carnival

7 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Yes, the possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so cheesy, melty good. Thanks for linking it up to Pomp Party:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my favorite things about these - the cheesy melty-ness. Yummy! :-)

      Delete
  3. OH YUM!!!!!!! Will def try this! Thanks so much for sharing and linking up over at my place :) I appreciate it and hope to see you in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Rose,
    What an awesome idea and a great recipe. We would just love your Salami Cheese Biscuit Squares! Hope you have a wonderful week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I love that you can add things you would like to it. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete