Sunday, January 1, 2012

Morning Musing Over Coffee - Scattering Benedictions



The tongue has the power of life and death . . . Proverbs 18:21

F. W. Boreham was an author and a Baptist preacher who was once described as a man who went about "scattering benedictions." What a beautiful way to be remembered. The word benediction comes from two Latin words that mean "good speaking." Basically a benediction is a pronouncement of blessing. To be remembered as someone who pronounces blessings is a certainly a worthwhile aspiration.

It is so easy to forget the importance of the spoken word and the effect it has in my own life and in the lives of others. Over and over in the Old Testament we read of fathers speaking blessing over their children. In the New Testament we are instructed to bless others, even those who curse us.

Speaking blessing over others not only benefits them but also has rewards for the blesser as well. To live a life of blessing others creates an atmosphere of good will. It is also an act of obedience to God which always brings blessing.

How do I bless others? By affirming their worth in the eyes of God and to those around them. Point out what they do right, not what they do wrong. Words that encourage, uplift, and bring smiles are blessings. There are times, especially with children, when it is necessary to correct, but at the same time I need to remind the child how important he/she is to me and to God, and how much they are loved. By letting them know that I believe in them, and that I know God has a plan for them, I am blessing. Praying with and for them for God's blessing is another way to speak blessing into the lives of those around us.

This year I want to "scatter benedictions" in the lives of all those I come in contact with. Won't you join me?


credit: maple



~ linking here ~




No comments:

Post a Comment