Monday, January 30, 2012

Morning Musing Over Coffee - Corporate Prayer



This morning's musings are taken in large part from notes from the sermon yesterday.

The Lord said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them." Genesis 11:6

This verse is from the account of the tower of Babel. This verse points out that when a group of people come together with one mind, one language, one common aim, they are a force to be reckoned with. In this case the common aim was to bring glory to themselves and God stepped and stopped it.

But imagine if a group of people came together with one mind (the mind of Christ), one language (the language of prayer) and one common aim (to bring glory to God by bringing others to Jesus).

 Where there is a lack of likemindedness and unity in the church there is a lack of prayer. Prayer connects the church to God.

While individual prayer is very important, it is also important for the church to come together as a body, with all the parts in unity, in prayer. This keeps the body healthy and strong and united for the purpose of bringing glory to God and others to salvation.

     “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,  that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.  I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one—  I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. John 17:20-23



2 comments:

  1. Our church has been hosting a prayer and fasting month. We've been joining in corporate prayer for a half hour after every service...it has been wonderful. I'm so sorry to see it end!! The cool thing is that we have seen many miracles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, prayer meetings are the most scantily attended. I remember once an elder said, "I find it interesting that I get so many requests for prayer from the church...but so few of those people actually show up to pray...for themselves or others." At first, I took offense...thinking that I can pray at home on my own...but as I sought God on this subject...I discovered, as you've mentioned here...corporate prayer is very important.

    ReplyDelete