Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Walnut Acre Daily - Tuesday May 8, 2012

Walking With the King
Now we ask you brothers and sisters, to acknowledge those who work hard among you, who care for you in the Lord and who admonish you. Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:12, 13

We Are Learning
We are continuing with the Pretty Bugs theme as we will all week and possibly next week as well. We read our stories, songs and reviewed our memory verse that goes with this theme and then played a Pretty Bugs memory game.



We also worked on our Bb worksheets from here.



We Are Reading
Two of the books the kids chose for me to read to them today are 
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss 


and Read to Your Bunny by Rosemary Wells.


Homemaking Joys
Once again not much to report here. So far this week I'm barely keeping up with the basics. In fact, this evening Doug cleaned up the playroom for me because I just couldn't seem to get to the end of the work. Thank you, Dear.

And my kitchen still needs help. I should run another load of dishes in the dishwasher. But I'm too tired and it's not going to happen. And it's okay, they'll still be there in the morning.

In the Kitchen
We had pizza bread and fruit for lunch.


For dinner I made baked chicken with cheese sauce


salad with lettuce and radishes from the garden


 boiled radishes with butter


and macaroni and cheese. 

The boiled radishes were a new dish for us and both Doug and I really liked them. I had read a suggestion that putting a little lemon juice in the water when I boil them would help them keep their color but I forgot to do it. I simply boiled them with water and a little salt until they were tender. After I drained the water I added some butter and let it melt before I served them. This simple recipe is one I will definitely be making again. 

In the Garden
I finally got to work in the garden again today. 
I cut some of the lettuce that is growing like crazy.


I also pulled a LOT of radishes and also thinned out two rows of radishes that are coming along.


Now if I can just get to some of the weeds that are growing almost as fast as the lettuce and radishes I'll be glad. 

On Our Nature Walk
We continued our bug theme today on our nature walk. Khristian picked up several rocks that had interesting ant nurseries underneath them. We watched them for awhile and then carefully placed the rock back over them so they would be safe. It was interesting to watch the ants scurry to carry the larva somewhere safe as soon as the rock was moved.




We also found a spot we hadn't explored before and had fun finding the little "secret clearing" and "secret doorways" in it.






Other Outdoor Fun
We had a lot of other fun outside today as well.
Like climbing trees . . .





. . . finding caterpillars . . .


. . . and robin's egg shells . . .


. . . and just simply running as hard and fast as possible.


Doug even had the "fun" of changing the oil in all three vehicles this evening after he got home from work. He has recently become an AMSOIL dealer and since the vehicles were due for oil changes he ordered AMSOIL.



Out and About
Since my parents are on vacation this week they asked if I would gather the eggs while they are gone. This morning Amanda and I took the little kids down there and let them watch the chickens and play while I gathered eggs.




Oh, and Amanda told me that she'd better not be in any of these pictures so, like any good mother would, I took one while she yelled at me to stop!


Here are the eggs I gathered today. The six in the top row are duck eggs. We've never had duck eggs before and I'm looking forward to trying them.



Daily Deals


Now through 5/10 receive Free Shipping on Garden-Ready Tomato Plant orders with code CAFF127 at CooksGarden.com! 
Link: Free Shipping on Garden-Ready Tomato Plants with code CAFF127 now through 5/10!


Now through Friday May 11th Save 20% on Fruits and Berry Plants with code AFFTW at Burpee.com!
Link: Save 20% on Fruits and Berry Plants with code AFFTW until midnight 5/11 at Burpee.com!
Also take $5 Off orders of $25 or more  with code AFFTOM now through May 10th

Link: Save $5 on orders of $25 or more with code AFFTOM, through 5/10 at Burpee.com! 

And, you can still get FREE plant food with any order $30 or more (no code necessary).

Link:Shop Burpee.com and receive a FREE Packet of All-Natural Plant Food with orders of $30 or more!  Offer good now through 5/31/2012



No comments:

Post a Comment