Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Morning Musing Over Coffee - Beneficial Speech

credit: Michelle Meiklejohn

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. ~ Ephesians 4:29


I so often need to be reminded of this verse. It is far too easy to let myself slip into complaining and criticizing which does nothing of value for the person who has to hear it. It is so much better for all concerned to hear me speak of blessings, to give praise and encouragement, and to point out the beautiful things in life. 


 I've also heard myself recently speaking out what I feared for someone else in a place and a way that was probably less than constructive. And while there is nothing wrong with bringing concerns to the attention of others who will pray with me for God's intervention, there is a proper time and a place for voicing these concerns. 


My goal, with God's help, is to speak that which is helpful and beneficial, and that which brings love, joy, edification, thankfulness, and sometimes a good wholesome laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment