Life, no matter how good you have it, is sometimes stressful. I wake up everyday knowing I am blessed beyond measure, and grateful for this beautiful life God has given me. But that doesn't mean that I don't sometimes feel stressed. That's just part of life and there's no point pretending it's not. However, there are a few things I've learned that help me to deal with those stressful times.
1. Pray. When I ask God to help me see the blessings around me my eyes are opened to so much I have been missing. And when I ask for strength or wisdom He always comes through.
2. Recite an encouraging Bible verse. Here are a few of my favorites - Jeremiah 29:11, Psalm 139:14, John 3:16, and John 10:10
3. Smile. When I have a smile on my face, whether I feel like it or not, somehow things around me automatically seem a little better.
4. Get outside - even if for just a few minutes. Breathe in fresh air, notice the color of the sky and the trees and grass around you. Even if you are in the city there is always the sky above and usually a few plants somewhere. See if you can find a blooming flower. There is something about taking a few minutes just to take in God's creation that always revives my spirit.
5. Read an inspirational quote. Quote Garden is one of my favorite places to go to find quotes on almost any subject. I can always find something inspirational as well as something to make me laugh here.
6. Take a short rest. I've found that just 15 minutes of sitting quietly with my eyes closed will often "reset" my brain and allow me to approach my day with a much better attitude.
7. Hug someone. Often kids give the best hugs, but a good friend or your spouse and other family members are also great people to hug. And you both get the benefits.
8. Turn on some music, whatever music you enjoy. Worship music and classical music are two of my personal favorites.
9. Drink a glass of water and eat a banana. Your body functions better and handles stress better when it is well hydrated. And bananas are a natural source of serotonin which helps to regulate mood. Plus if you eat a banana you are one serving closer to your five a day of fruits and vegetables.
10. Breath. Take ten deep breaths and thank God for loving you.
There, now don't you feel better already!