Friday, February 17, 2012

Our Stick, Walnut and Yarn Creations - The Beginning of a Whole New Town

I've been looking at all the sticks and walnuts in our yard and thinking that there has to be something creative to do with them. It just seemed a shame to let all that natural material go to waste. I thought of a number of different ideas and suddenly knew what I wanted to do.

So, with my supply of sticks, yarn, walnuts, scissors and coffee (coffee is the fuel for creativity you know) I had a little fun and . . .



. . . This was the result. (I made the first three and Mykalin made the fourth one.) I honestly can't decide if they look more like aliens or mummies but they are going to be the residents of our outdoor play town. 



This afternoon CJ and Mykalin got in on the fun as well. I love how serious and focused they look.









Michael seemed to pay no attention to what we were doing, choosing instead to ride his bike. And that was fine with me, although if he had wanted to join us that would have been wonderful too. But as soon it was time to go inside to help CJ make dinner Michael suddenly wanted to make a stick person too. And no, it could not be done inside where I could help him, thank you very much. It had to be made outside like everyone else. So I gave him the supplies and let him go try. And then took a couple photos through the kitchen window.







He spent quite a while working at this although in the end he allowed himself to satisfied with one that Mykalin made and gave to him.


I think this is going to be a project that will keep us busy for a while. Because we will need lots of people to populate an entire play town. And we still have the whole town to build.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the best things are the simple things that take a bit of time working with hands and a lot of imagination. At least he tried, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, great craft idea, and fun to see the kids crafting outside! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete