Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Morning Musing Over Coffee - The Coin of Life




Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once. ~ Lillian Dickson


How true this is. Reading this quote makes me want to look carefully at how I am spending my life to make sure I am really focusing on things that are important.


And how do I know what is important? There are so many things that clamor for my attention and some days it's hard to know exactly which ones are the really important ones.


Here are a few thoughts that help me decide what I need to spend my time on.


Prayer and meditating on God's Word are always at the top of the list. I'm not saying that I spend anywhere near enough time on these two things, it's definitely a work in progress, but when allocating my time I know these two are very important. For me it's always a challenge to make this time happen in my rather unpredictable schedule. Michael has many early morning hours when he has a hard time sleeping. The time snuggling with him, waiting for him to fall asleep again has often become a blessed prayer time for me.


People come next. People are always a priority with God. The Bible itself is a testimony of our high priority with Him. There are people God has placed in my life that I need and want to be there for. My husband, my children, children in my care and their families are first on my list. I need to be available to listen, to guide, to laugh and cry with and learn from all of them.


After these two high priorities I then look at the passions God has given me. For me, personally, these are writing, teaching and creating. God has placed these strong interests within me for a reason. Erma Bombeck said "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me." This really resonates with me and is my desire as well.


Each day is a new adventure in walking out my desire to spend (maybe invest would be a better word) my life in a way that brings God glory and allows me to be the person He created me to be.


This verse says it well -

Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for to You in entrust my life. ~ Psalm 143:8


~ Linking Here ~


Our Simple Farm



No comments:

Post a Comment