Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Homemade Biscuit Mix and Mini Meat Pies

I love the convenience of biscuit mix but I do not love the price of buying it by the box. So after looking at a number of different recipes, I finally made a batch of homemade biscuit mix this morning. It's really very simple to make and very economical, definitely cheaper than buying from the store. 

Here's the recipe I used for the biscuit mix.


10 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup baking powder
2 Tablespoons white sugar
2 Teaspoons salt
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil

Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add oil and mix with a fork or pastry blender. You should have small lumps throughout the mixture. 

Stir in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to three months.



Then I had to try this and see if we liked it. I tried it out by making Easy Mini Meat Pies.

To make the meat pies I combined six eggs, 3 cups milk and 1 1/2 cups biscuit mix. I poured a small amount of this batter into the bottoms of 24 muffin cups. Then I put a little chopped ham and grated cheddar cheese in each cup. For seasoning I sprinkled on a little garlic powder, salt and pepper. I then filled each muffin cup until it was almost full with a little more batter. I baked these in a preheated over at 375 degrees for around 25 minutes. 



Yummy!

These could also be filled with ground beef, bacon, pepperoni, a variety of vegetables, or whatever other filling sounds good.

~ Linking Here ~

3 comments:

  1. I made my own mix using shortening a long time ago. But, I don't use shortening any longer and knew if I made it with butter I would have to refrigerate it. I will have to try the oil version. There are so many recipes that call for biscuit mix - tasty ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Rose,
    I just love your Biscuit Mix, I really like having a mix on hand that way I can bake more often. What a great idea to make a Mini Meat Pie, they look delicious. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made my own biscuits for years, but these meat pies look interesting. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Gail (BibleLoveNotes.com)

    ReplyDelete