Monday, July 9, 2012

The Dinosaur Life Cycle Game


This week we're beginning a unit on Dinosaurs. I'm using resources from a variety of different places. Today we started by reading Dinosaurs by Robert T. Bakker

Then we watched this video on YouTube. It's basically just a silly fun song about liking dinosaurs.


And finally, we got to my favorite part - the dinosaur life cycle game. I printed these materials from Dinosaur Life Sequence Cards from Making Learning Fun

Before we played the game I showed the kids the life cycle of a dinosaur with the color cards. The black and white game board really isn't in quite the right order because it's made for the child to cut apart and then put in the proper sequence. I think before we play again I will cut it apart and glue it in the right order on cardboard or construction paper. These could definitely be laminated to make a longer lasting game.



To play the game I printed enough cards for each child to have a black and white game card and then enough color cards to fill each one. After I cut apart the color cards I mixed them up and placed them in a pile. I then turned the pile picture side down. Each child took a turn taking the top card and placing it on their black and white version. If they drew a card they already had they put in on a discard pile and play moved to the next person. Whoever filled their black and white card first won. 




We played three rounds of this game today and the kids loved it. 

~ Linking Here ~


abc button 



1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea for a game and I bet it would work for any theme.

    Thanks for linking to the Sunday showcase.

    ReplyDelete