Monday, July 23, 2012

Garden Update - Hoping for the Best

When I go into the garden with a spade, and dig a bed, I feel such an exhilaration and health that I discover I have been defrauding myself all this time in letting others do for me what I should have done with my own hands. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let us be in a position so we are able to not only feed ourselves through home production and storage, but others as well. ~ Ezra Taft Benson

This is what keeps me trying to have a big garden this year although it seems the odds are against me. I'm not even completely sure why I'm having such a hard time. My early crops went in well and produced well - the radishes, carrots and lettuce were wonderful. But then, through a myriad of circumstances out of my control, I just couldn't seem to get the next planting in. I finally bought lots of seeds, so late they were on clearance, and am in the process of getting them planted. I'm hoping that our fall will be mild as they have been the past number of years and we will have a late frost so that these plants have a chance to mature and produce. Even if I lose some things I bought the seeds at such a discount I'll still come out way ahead. I'm hoping to also plant a large planting of fall crops as well. 

This is what I have going on in the garden now.


The Lima Beans are just beginning to come up.


Golden Wax Bush beans are also coming up.



Somewhere in there are beets and turnips. They are actually growing quite well in spite of the weeds.




CJ's corn is looking pretty good.




Michael has sunflower seeds growing on the windowsill.



I have cherry tomatoes growing in pots on the porch . . .




. . . as well as cress . . .



. . . and parsley.


And for a little color and variety we have some flowers hanging on the front porch as well.



And that's what's growing here at Walnut Acre.

~ Linking Here ~



1 comment:

  1. Your tomatoes and corn are looking good! Sometimes its discouraging when our plants aren't doing so well. It's happened to us a few times. But we live and learn, right? Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete