Monday, June 25, 2012

In the Fields, Garden and Kitchen

This week we've been excited to see that the berries are starting to turn color. I am waiting for these to mature to find out exactly what kind they are. This will be the first summer picking them for us so we're unsure what we're looking at. But there are a LOT along edge of field behind our house. It's actually our neighbors field but they don't pick the berries so we get the privilege.



Life got in the way of me getting in the garden regularly so it ended up looking like this. Saturday I went out and dug up the carrots I could find. It was like a treasure hunt! 


The kids were almost excited as I was and helped me in the garden and then carried them up the house so they could be washed.





After I got all the carrots I could find Doug mowed most of it down and he's going to re-till it and get it ready to plant again. The only area he didn't mow down is where the turnips are because they are coming along very nicely in spite of the weeds. There are also somc more carrots beside the turnips that aren't ready yet. So I'm just going to have to go in and weed those areas.

CJ is taking very good care of his corn patch. Saturday was the third time he carried water to them since he planted them the Saturday before. They are starting to come up nicely. 


Today he spent some time pulling weeds before they take over the corn like they took over the rest of the garden.


Some of the "weeds" in our garden are chicory plants. Today Austin pulled a bunch of them (while I was weeding the turnips and carrots) so that I can roast the roots. I've never done this before but I'm always up for trying something new. 





A friend gave me 40 pounds of sweet potatoes. Most of them I mashed and put in the freezer. Recently we made these yummy Easy Sweet Potato Muffins that the kids loved. We've also made Sweet Potato Fluff with some of the mashed sweet potatoes.


And last, but not least, as this Italian Seasoned Bread Dough for the freezer . . . 




And that's a little of what we've been doing on our little "homestead" this week. There are so many more things I can hardly wait to do here at Walnut Acre but I'm just taking things slowly, one step at a time. 
~ Linking Here ~ 

















Outdoor Wednesday logo












4 comments:

  1. You have been busy! The sweet potato muffins look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does appear to be quite a busy week ! Those muffins look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The carrots look wonderful, as do the chicory flowers. And 40 pounds of sweet potatoes--wow--how great! The muffins and bread look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those berries look like black berries. We have thornless ones in our yard. I steam juice them, can the juice, and make it into blackberry jelly later in the fall. I also use the juice for flavoring my kombucha.

    The kids looked like they had lots of fun finding carrots!

    ReplyDelete