Thursday, July 21, 2011

Morning Musing Over Coffee - Talk Is Cheap


After all is said and done, a lot more will have been said than done.
~ Author Unknown

The shortest answer is doing.
~ Lord Herbert

So many times I have fallen into the trap of talking, talking and talking about something that I want to do or something that I think needs to be changed. But that's far too often the extent of it - I just talk. Or plan. Or research. Or tweet or blog about it. Almost anything other than actually do it!

I wonder why that is? Am I afraid of trying something new? Afraid to leave my comfortable little rut?

Am I afraid it will cost me something? Talk is cheap. So is planning, researching, and, sometimes, tweeting and blogging.But actually investing time and effort, investing a bit of myself, sometimes comes with a cost. Maybe the cost is old comfortable routines, or time previously used on something else. Maybe the cost is the doubtful reactions of others.

Whatever the cost may be, is it really higher than the cost, in the end, of not stepping out and taking the action that is tugging at the heart to be taken. Because, yes, talk is cheap, but an unfulfilled life is too high a price to pay for inaction.

1 comment: