Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Garden Update - Corn, Tomatoes and Peppers

The weeds are still trying to take over my garden and every day I promise myself that when it cools off in the evening I'm going to go start taking back my vegetables. But every evening for the last week it's either been really hot or we had rain. Today has been a little cooler so maybe this will be the day I make it out there and begin the rescue.

But the plants are doing very well in spite of the neglect.

The corn is growing like crazy.



I thought when I planted the vines (cucumbers, cantaloupe and watermelon) that I was leaving a lot of space between each plant but apparently not enough - I keep finding watermelons in the cantaloupe and cucumber plants. I'm picking cucumbers everyday now, 4-8 at a time. So I've been on the hunt for cucumber recipes. Two I've made recently and we've enjoyed are Marinated Cucumbers and Creamy Cucumber Salad.


The tomato plants are so full of tomatoes that I'm afraid if they don't ripen soon the plants are going to start breaking.


The peppers are getting big as well.


There are four pepper plants and eight tomato plants so I'm looking forward to eating lots of fresh veggies (besides cucumbers) soon.

~ Linking Here ~

~ And Here ~


10 comments:

  1. Yu are going to have some beautiful veggies to enjoy! I can almost taste your corn! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful garden! Found you from the Raising Homemakers linkup. Would love for you to link up to Turning the Table Thursday (starts tonight at 9pm PST). Stumbled your post as well...hope you get some extra traffic. ;-)

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used this recipe and we thought it was most delicious!
    http://tid-bitsfromus.blogspot.com/2011/06/chicken-cucumber-boats.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, your corn is huge compared to mine! And I think I have a mental block when it comes to growing bell peppers. Every year I try and every year they do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by -- it's always nice to make new friends. We are not very experienced gardeners, and it is fun to see what others do. We are thinking of trying watermelon next year. Any advice as to what kind?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some really good looking plants and your peppers look really big.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am envious of your garden! We were hit by a hail storm here in Norman OK that just about wiped out our roof muchless the garden. It came back slowly but out put is low. Nice looking garden! Thanks for sharing Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't leave enough space for my vining plants either. They have all grown together. lol!!! Your garden looks wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just picked up the first ripe tomato from my garden!It's delicious and doesn't compare with the one from the store!Congrats on your garden and hope you will energize yourself with the vegies soon!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My radishes is perfect when I pulled them up. But my tomatoes have some black spots in the surface and I don't know why. Good luck in your harvesting time.:)

    ReplyDelete