Sunday, July 24, 2011

Morning Musing Over Coffee - Golden Moments and Unseen Angels



The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand; the angels come to visit us and we only know them when they are gone.
~ George Elliot

The ability to be in the present is a major component of mental wellness.
~ Abraham Maslow

From the moment my feet hit the floor in the morning to the time I go to bed at night, I all too often find myself rushing, rushing, rushing. I'm not sure where I think I'm going in such a hurry. Or how I'll know when I get there, but I've always been compelled by this urge to go, do, accomplish. And while there are some benefits to this mindset there are also some major drawbacks.

It is literally almost painful for me to just sit with nothing to do. In the space of two minutes my mind has  traveled in four of five different directions, dreaming up paths to take and things to do. It is an act of willpower for me to sit through a movie or a Sunday sermon, not because I don't enjoy these but because between every scene or sentence my mind has already traveled several different directions.

The problem with this is that it sometimes very hard for me to simply enjoy the moment. To just sit and let the warm sun shine on my face, or to just have a quiet conversation with a friend. It can be hard for me to be still and listen to the bird song, or watch a child at play, without doing something else at the same time.

I am trying to learn to be still and savor. To relish the now without having to do. To just simply be in the present that is such a gift.

I don't want to miss the golden moments or the angels to remain unseen. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Rose, for your comment. We must always enjoy each moment!

    Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Overstock.com Gift Card Giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very hard for me too. I try to remind myself that we are human beings, not human doings ;)

    ReplyDelete