Saturday, January 22, 2011

In the Kitchen - Making Homemade Croutons

I love to make bread with my bread machine. Freshly baked bread served with our meals has been a real hit. But we always seems to have a few slices left over that no one would eat later. I felt like I was wasting so much good food.

We also love chef salads and croutons are a necessity for a good chef salad.

So I started brousing through one of my favorite recipes sites - allrecipes.com after reading through a number of recipes decided that making croutons from the leftover bread would be pretty easy to do. Basically I simply cube the bread slices (I also use the crusts from the loaves of whole wheat bread that we buy for sandwiches), pour melted butter over the cubes, and sprinkle it all well with Italian Seasoning, and put it in the oven preheated to 350 degrees. I let them bake until they are nice and crispy and then serve them with salads. My family loves them and often just eat the croutons as a snack without any salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment