Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 Resolution

Image: FreeDigitalPhotos by scottchan


I have always loved beginning a new year. I get a thrill thinking about all the opportunities to learn and experience new things, to reach new goals, and the adventures that are sure to come.

I spent a lot of time this year thinking about what goals or resolutions I wanted to set up for myself in this New Year. At first I had a long list of things that I thought would be good goals. But the more I thought about it the more I realized I would like to keep things simple. So instead of a whole list of goals I decided instead to make one simple resolution that I believe will have the most positive impact on my day to day life and help me to reach my goals.

And here is the resolution:

I resolve to make a schedule for myself each month and barring any major unforseen circumstances to stick with that schedule for the month.  At the end of each month I will rewrite the schedule taking into account what did and did not work as well as upcoming events, changes, etc.

The reason:

I already know what my main goals and interests in life are, my problem is keeping myself on track with a consistent and reasonable schedule to reach those goals. I make schedules for myself and then instead of sticking with them long enough to really see if they work, I think of a "wonderful new idea" make a new schedule and start all over. Hopefully limiting myself  to monthly changes will help me stop jumping all over the place all the time.

Accountability:

At the end of each day I will post here how I did that day in following my resolution. There will be a new post for each month. I think this will be fun and the fact that I am posting online each day will help me to stay focused. I will begin tomorrow, January 2.

I picture this resolution as a path I am following. In my minds eye when I pictured the path I wanted to travel I also pictured a kind of hand rail or guard rail along each side of the path to help me to stay focused on that path. I chose Proverbs 31:10 - 31 to represent one of the hand rails and the concept of Proactivity to represent the other. Each week I will concentrate (and post) on one verse from Proverbs 31 and work to be Proactive in my day to day life as I work on my resolutions and goals.

Image: FreeDigitalPhotos by Scott Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment