Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Savory Poultry Dressing

It always bothers me when I throw out the last hamburger or hotdog bun because it is old and stale (or moldy), or when I throw out the heels of bread loaf because no one wants to eat them. So I started simply putting them in a bag in the freezer. When the bag is full I make this yummy dressing.

 And instead of stuffing the chicken with stuffing I stuff the stuffing with chicken.  Or something like that.

And now, before I type anything else that lame, here's the recipe.

4 celery ribs, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 pounds (about a bread bag full) bread, cubed
2 cups cooked chicken
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sage
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs
2 cups chicken broth

1. In a large skillet, saute the celery and onions in butter. In a bowl toss the bread cubes with parsley, salt, sage, poultry seasoning, thyme and pepper. Add the chicken,  celery and onions. Combine eggs and broth, add to the bread and mix.

2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.

~ Linking Here ~
 SUNDAY – Strut Your Stuff, Sharing Time, Creative Bloggers Party and Hop, So Sweet Sundays, Sunday Showcase, Not “Baaad” Sunday , Think Pink Sundays, Sunday Linky Party, DIY Project Parade, Savory Sundays, Just Something I Whipped Up, Sew Darn Crafty,{K.I.S.S.} Blog Bash, MONDAY – I Made It, More the Merrier, Inspire Me Mondays, A Marvelous Mess, Made By You Monday, Making the World Cuter Monday, Craft-O-Maniac Monday, Market Yourself Monday, Making Monday Marvelous, Motivate Me Monday, Sharing Monday, Making a Home, Muffin Monday, TUESDAY - Titus 2sdays, Domestically Divine, One Project at a Time, Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tuesdays at the Table, Tuesday Time Out, Tuesday Confessionals , Let's Do Brunch, Teach Me Tuesdays , Tip Me Tuesday, WEDNESDAY - Homemaking Link-Up, Living Well Wednesdays, What's Cooking Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, {Wow Me} Wednesday, Reader Link Wednesday Foodie Wednesday , Works For Me Wednesday, THURSDAY – Full Plate Thursday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, It's a Party, FRIDAY – Feasting in Fellowship Fridays, Fridays Unfolded, Sweet Tooth Friday,SATURDAY - Weekend Wrap-Up Party, Sweets For a Saturday,

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rose,
    I love Dressing the year round, it is one of my all time favorites and your recipe looks delicious. This makes me want some dressing! Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe. I have the same issues with old buns and bread.

    Thank you so much for sharing it at Foodie Wednesday. I hope you can join us again today with another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete