Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Green Tomato Cake

As we're beginning to clear out our garden, hopefully to do a little fall planting, I found myself with quite a few green tomatoes on hand. I've really never cooked with green tomatoes before so I wasn't sure what to expect. I found a version of this recipe, tweaked it suit my fancy, and gave it a try. Too my surprise, it was declared a keeper so I thought I would share the recipe here.


4 cups chopped tomatoes
1 Tablespoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup applesauce
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Place chopped tomatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Place in a colander, rinse with cold water and drain.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x13 baking pan.

3. Cream butter, sugar and applesauce. Add eggs and beat until creamy.

4. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Dough will be stiff. Mix well.

5. Add drained tomatoes and mix well. Pour into the prepared 9x13 inch pan.

6. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until toothpick comes out clean.

~ Linking Here~
SUNDAY – Strut Your Stuff Creative Bloggers Party and Hop, So Sweet Sundays, Sunday Showcase, Not “Baaad” Sunday , Think Pink Sundays, Sunday Linky Party, DIY Project Parade, Savory Sundays, Just Something I Whipped Up, Sew Darn Crafty,{K.I.S.S.} Blog Bash, MONDAY – I Made It, More the Merrier, Inspire Me Mondays, A Marvelous Mess, Made By You Monday, Making the World Cuter Monday, Craft-O-Maniac Monday, Market Yourself Monday, Making Monday Marvelous, Motivate Me Monday, Sharing Monday, Making a Home, TUESDAY - Titus 2sdays, Domestically Divine, One Project at a Time, Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tuesdays at the Table, Tuesday Time Out, Tuesday Confessionals , Let's Do Brunch, Teach Me Tuesdays , Tip Me Tuesday, WEDNESDAY - Homemaking Link-Up, Living Well Wednesdays, What's Cooking Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, {Wow Me} Wednesday, Reader Link Wednesday Foodie Wednesday THURSDAY – Full Plate Thursday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, It's a Party, Bake with Bizzy,  FRIDAY – Feasting in Fellowship Fridays, Fridays Unfolded, Sweet Tooth Friday,SATURDAY - Weekend Wrap-Up Party, Sweets For a Saturday,


8 comments:

  1. I have never heard of a green tomato cake but that sounds like another great way to use up those last little tomatoes of the year. I'll have to put that recipe in my collection. Thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting my site! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds scrumptious ...
    Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to dip into some serious goodness.

    Splashin',
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! I bookmarked it so I can try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fried green tomatoes, but I've never tried anything like this. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rose,
    I could hardly wait to see this Green Tomato Cake, it looks delicious. I can't wait to give this a try! Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta try it!!! I made a tomatoe soup cake once that was really yummy.....google it and give it a try! I love trying kinda offbeat recipes and then watching the kids faces when I tell them what they are eating....LOL. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so need to try this cake. I have a garden full of green tomatoes and I was just trying to figure out what to do with them.

    Thank you so much for sharing it at Foodie Wednesday. I hope you can join us again today with another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great recipe. I made it with a little extra butter since I didn't have the applesauce and a teaspoon of vanilla. My husband loved it and he is a cake lover. Everyone who tried it loved it.

    ReplyDelete