Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Homemade Hot Pockets

I love hot pockets and so do the kids but I do not love how much I have to pay for them in the store. So every now and then I make a batch of homemade hot pockets and put in the freezer what we don't eat right away.

They an be filled with a variety of fillings. The last ones I made I filled with a mixture of browned ground chicken, chopped onions and Queso Blanco Velveeta cheese. I've also filled them with pepperoni, sliced deli meat, browned ground beef,  and various types of cheese. 

 Here is the bread recipe I used the last time I made hot pockets and it's my favorite so far. 

2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast (5 teaspoons)
3 tablespoons white sugar
3 1/2 cups warm water
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (or lard or butter)
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
7 - 8 cups all purpose flour

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Stir in vegetable oil, salt, dried parsley, garlic powder, parmesan cheese and 2 cups flour. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. (I mix the dough in my KitchenAid mixer and use the dough hooks when the dough begins getting stiff and also to knead it.

Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about an hour.

Deflate the dough and divide into 12 -14 individual balls of dough. Flatten each ball of dough and top with hot pocket fillings. 




Fold sides and ends over, pressing together to seal and place seam side down on greased baking sheet.

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.




Enjoy!

~ Linking Here ~
No Ordinary Blog Hop Tuesday - Titus 2sday Link-up Party, Tweak It Tuesday, Tuesday's Treasures, Heart + Home Weekly Link Up, Creatively Tuesday, Domestically Divine Tuesday Wednesday - Wise Woman Linkup, Homemaking Link Up Thursday - Home and Garden Thursday, It's a Party Friday - Womanhood With Purpose,

5 comments:

  1. Yummy!

    I've been meaning to try this sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! My kids would go crazy for these. Might be the perfect thing to have on hand this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pocketful of sweet and spicy goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is this! My son loves Hot Pockets - He'd eat a dozen of these! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete