Sunday, May 19, 2013

I Will Rain Down Bread

"I will rain down bread from Heaven for you" said the Lord to Moses.

This line from the book (Child's Story of the Bible by Mary A. (Mary Artemisia) Lathbury) I was reading to CJ and Michael before bed one evening jumped out at me. Wow! Can you imagine how Moses must have felt and what his reaction was to that amazing statement? Bread raining down from Heaven? No one had ever seen or heard of that before!

Did he say - "Really God? Am I supposed to just sit here and wait for You to rain down bread? You gave us brains and arms and legs, and I know You expect us to use them."

Or maybe - "Ok, God, I'm pretty sure I didn't just hear what I thought I heard. My ears are obviously playing tricks on me. I'd better go have them checked for wax."

Or he could have simply walked away with no further conversation and ordered the people to get an extra early start in the morning on the hunt for food, in which case they would not have been around to pick up the bread that did, indeed, fall from Heaven the next morning.

But no, Moses truly believed what the Lord was telling him and so he had the people stop and wait on the Lord, knowing that He would be true to His Word and provide what He said He would provide. And guess what? That is exactly what happened (Exodus 16). Food was provided for all the people. Bread fell from Heaven. And not just one day - every day for as long as they needed it. 

What if, like Moses, I stopped trying to fix things my own way, and simply trusted God to do what He says He will do - supply all my needs, provide strength for the day, give me rest, lift me up, fill my heart with joy, give me hope and a future, and complete the work He began in me? What if I simply stepped out in faith that no matter what He has called me to do in this moment He will rain down the bread needed (figuratively or literally) for that calling? The Hebrews were called to go to Canaan and build a nation of their people. God promised He would provide all they needed on the way. And He never let them down. As long as they followed Him He provided not only for their needs but safety, power and victory as well.

He is the same God today that He was then. Today, I am trusting Him to rain down bread from Heaven, not only in my life but in the life of each one who is following Him. 

Look up, my friends. It's going to rain today!



~ Linking Here ~ 

TheBetterMom.com

No Ordinary Blog Hop Sunday - Weekend Whatever Linkup Tuesday - Titus 2sdsay Link-up Party, Heart + Home Weekly Link Up Wednesday - Wise Woman Linkup, Homemaking Link Up, WholeHearted Home

No comments:

Post a Comment