Monday, May 20, 2013

The Beatitudes - Sermon Notes, Nuggets and References




Matthew 5:3 - Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will inherit the kingdom of heaven.

What does it mean to mean to be "poor in spirit?"

To be poor in spirit is to realize that I am nothing on my own, I do not have the answers and I am unable to fix my own life. I need help and the only help capable of fixing my problems is Jesus. When I come to that realization and call to Jesus to save me, I become a child of God. As a child of God I am heir to the kingdom of Heaven.

Matthew 5:4 - Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

I mourn when I realize how sinful I am and desire to walk away from these sins. I am comforted by Jesus as He walks with me, extends His grace to me and helps me to walk away from those things that cause sin in my life.

Matthew 5:5 - Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. 

I am showing meekness when I understand that God does no better than I do how to run my life and I choose to follow Him. Following God always brings the rewards only He can give.

Matthew 5:6 - Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

When I hunger and thirst after the righteousness of God, seeking Him in prayer and through His Word, He promises to fill that hunger and to satisfy that thirst with His truth and His love.

Matthew 5:7 - Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

When I forgive others the doors Heaven open to rain down blessing on me. When I am being treated badly it may be time to do a quick check of my own life to be sure I am not doing the same to others. 

Matthew 5:8 - Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

I am pure in heart when I have Jesus in my hearts and life and continue to seek Him and His will for my life. 

Matthew 5:9 - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God.

I am blessed when I endeavor to bring peaceful resolution to difficult situations. As God's child this is a part of my calling.

Matthew 5:10 - Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.

Even though following Him is sometimes hard and my even bring persecution, God promises that it will not be for nothing. He rewards those who follow Him and it brings Him joy to see His children blessed, both here on earth and with Him in Heaven.

I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10

This post is compilation of my notes from this sermon, the references used, and my own thoughts and interpretation for my life. 

~ Linking Here ~

TheBetterMom.com

1 comment:

  1. Very good thoughts & a reminder how we need to live daily. Thank you for sharing. I was your neighbor at Wholehearted Wed. :)
    Blessings,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete