Sunday, October 16, 2011

Will More Money Make Me Happier?

In Sunday School the last couple weeks we have been talking about greed, and the many ways it can show up in our lives.

One of the questions asked today was whether more money will make us happier.  I think most of know that being happier isn't usually as simple as just having more money. At the same time it's easy to think that surely it would have to help.

But there was one point made in the lesson that I found really interesting and it was this - nearly all the studies done recently on money and happiness show that only when it relieves abject poverty does money make a measurable difference in a person's level of happiness. Somehow this really  stuck with me.

All too have often I have a tendency to think that I really don't need to be rich but just a little more money would make me so much happier. But apparently that isn't the case. I am not experiencing abject poverty. I have plenty of food, clothing, a sound home that keeps me warm in winter and cool in summer.

So I guess that "little bit more" probably wouldn't do a whole lot for my happiness. What I really need to learn is found in these two verses . . .

And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 1 Timothy 6:8

. . . for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. Philippians 4:11

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking plenty about the verse in Philippians...and you are so right...this is truth and will reflect His Glory in our contentment:} Blessings, abby {visiting from 'Graceful'}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you, Rose, thinking that "just a little more" might make all the difference. I appreciate the much-needed perspective here.

    ReplyDelete