Monday, February 25, 2013

The Walnut Acre Daily - Michael's Geneticist Visit and Seeds for the Garden

Words to Live By

Do not those who plot evil go astray? But those who plan what is good find love and faithfulness. Proverbs 14:22

Preschool and Kindergarten Homeschool Fun

Because Michael had a doctor's appointment this morning the only "school" activity I did with the younger kids was storytime.

Storytime


Austin and Amanda's Homeschool Assignments

Bible - Proverbs 28; Literature - No Woman So Fair; Math - Conversions Part 1; Science - Respiratory System Questions and Answers

Out and About

Michael had his appointment with his Geneticist today. I love this doctor. She takes the time to really explain what she's thinking and the reasons behind the things she recommends. A year ago we were there and she did some testing for several different things. Most of these were completely ruled out but the Tuberous Sclerosis test basically came back inconclusive. There was an abnormality on one of the genes that is involved with Tuberous Sclerosis but at this point there is not enough scientific evidence to know if this particular abnormality can be a cause of TS. Michael does have some symptoms that could point to TS (the masses/tumors he was born with, seizures, other physical features, etc) but not enough to give a definite diagnosis since a lot of these symptoms could be a part of other things as well. So, at this point we're basically left with wait and see. Wait and see if any more symptoms develop (they often do as a child with TS gets older), wait and see if a better genetic test becomes available, wait and see if it everything just stays the same or gets better. She did schedule a renal ultrasound just to be safe since tumors on the kidney's can be a problem with TS. I was disappointed that there are still no clear answers, but at the same time I feel at peace knowing that God has brought him this far and that He loves him more than I ever could. I've said it before but it bears repeating - Michael is a miracle from God. As a baby doctors said that if he survived the severe health problems he was born with he would probably never walk, talk, see or hear. He not only walks, he runs. He talks constantly! His vision is excellent and since we had tubes put in his ears so is his hearing. I know God didn't bring him this far for nothing.

We passed the time waiting for the doctor to come in this morning by taking pictures and playing with a few toys that were in the room. He did a wonderful job being patient while we talked and cooperated wonderfully with the doctor. I was very proud of him. 



Other Notes and News

Our weekend flew by! One of my favorite parts of the weekend was buying these seeds and supplies for the garden. 


CJ and Michael caught my excitement and bought some too. CJ's are on the left and Michael's on the right. 



Doug spent a quite a bit of his weekend working on vehicles. He put brake pads on our friend's minivan and patched a tire that had a nail in it one of our vehicles. 

Reading Around the Web

Today's Quote

Anticipate the day as if it was your birthday and you are turning six again. ~ Mike Dolan

Daily Deals


4 comments:

  1. I love to garden by it still seems far off, we are getting snow again tomorrow. Will keep your son in my thought and prayers. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Michael is growing up!!! :) Hoping and praying that answers can be found! My heart just goes out to him so much! I'm ready for gardening too!!!! REALLY ready! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it is frustrating to not know what the diagnosis is. I remember for years wondering what the problems were with Andrew. It was a relief to finally get the diagnosis. It helped me to see I wasn't the problem. Over time, thing have gone a bit down hill and now it's a process of teaching myself to not give in to the bad behavior.

    I also remember how difficult it was through the many years of trying to find answers to my daughters vision problems. I knew what it was, but the doctors wouldn't be more exact.

    I am glad you have a good doctor to help out. He seems like a great kid and it's been crazy watching how big he has gotten in the last year. (via blogging)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your talk of gardening and pictures of seed packets make me long for spring, especially since we are in a week of multiple snowstorms! Thanks for sprinkling some springtime in my day, and for sharing at NOBH!

    ReplyDelete